Elizabeth Tan-Chiu, M.D. - Board Certified Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology
Dr. Tan-Chiu has devoted her entire medical career to Breast and Ovarian Cancer providing compassionate patient care and innovative research by making significant contributions to new and better therapies.
Dr. Tan-Chiu is a cum laude graduate of the University of the Philippines with a major in biology. In 1986, she graduated from Far Eastern University Medical School in Manila, Philippines and completed her residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, Massachusetts. She completed her fellowship training in Hematology and Medical Oncology at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. After that, she worked as a hematologist-oncologist for the Erie Veterans Association.
- Dr. Tan-Chiu was an Assistant Professor at the Medical College of Pennsylvania-Hahnemann.
- She also served as the Associate-Director of Medical Oversight for the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP), an NCI-funded organization that has been conducting clinical trials in breast and colorectal cancer for over forty years.
- She was instrumental in writing NSABP's adjuvant clinical trial involving Herceptin© - Trastuzumab and has published numerous journal articles in the adjuvant therapy and prevention of breast cancer.
- She served as Associate Director of Cancer Research Network.
Lauren Peirce Carcas, M.D. � Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology
Dr. Carcas is a compassionate physician who is dedicated to providing high quality patient-centered care. She has extensive training in the management of solid malignancies, including Breast, Lung, Colorectal, Prostate, Bladder, Kidney, Skin, Pancreas, Thyroid, Liver, Brain, as well as both malignant and benign hematologic conditions.
Dr. Carcas graduated from Samford University Cum Laude with Bachelors degrees in both Spanish and International Relations. She received her M.D. from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. She then did both her internship and residency in Internal Medicine at Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami in Miami, Florida.
At the completion residency, she was asked to be a Chief Medical Resident for a year during which time she served as an Instructor of Medicine and was responsible for medical education of students and residents. She then went on to complete her Hematology and Medical Oncology fellowship training at the University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center/Jackson Memorial Hospital.
During her fellowship, Dr. Carcas published articles on Colon Cancer, Gastric Cancer, and presented research in Pancreatic Cancer and Sarcomas.
Dr. Carcas remains dedicated to the advancement of cancer research and is excited about the opportunity to combine clinical trial research and personalized patient care. She believes that Oncology is a unique field within Medicine that allows the provider to share a very personal relationship with the patient that is focused on individualized care regardless of the intention; cure, surveillance, or control of disease.
Dina Hussein, ANP-BC, MSN, RN � Clinical Research Coordinator
As Lead Clinical Research Coordinator, Ms. Hussein manages a highly competent research team comprised of highly experienced Foreign Medical Graduates. Ms. Hussein�s expansive medical career includes 30+ years of hands-on nursing, academic and clinical research experience. Her academia curriculum includes a B.S. in Nursing from University of the Visayas, Cebu City, Philippines, Medical/Surgical Nursing Certification from the ANCC and Master of Science in Nursing and Adult Nurse Practitioner-Oncology-HIV from the prestigious Duke University School of Nursing in Durham, North Carolina.
Ms. Hussein�s career highlights include:
- Clinical/Adjunct Professor, Kaplan University School of Nursing, Pembroke Pines, FL - Conducted didactic classes in Medical Surgical and Fundamentals in Nursing. Supervise students during clinical rotations in hospital units.
- Clinical/Adjunct Professor, Nova Southeastern University, Davie, FL
- Research Consultant, Doctors Plus Medical Center, Pembroke Pines, FL - Regulatory data/document compliance and research data collection.
- Nurse Educator, Cleveland Clinic, Weston, FL � Conduct Staff Education and Training for Oncology and Medical-Surgical Floors.
- Clinical Research Coordinator, Northwest Oncology and Hematology Associates, Coral Springs, FL
- Clinical Research Coordinator, Response Oncology, Memphis, TN - Conducted clinical trials in Breast, Lung, Prostate Cancers and Multiple Myeloma.
- Clinical Research Coordinator, Cancer Research Network, Hollywood, FL � Conduct Breast Cancer clinical trials in a private practice setting
- Nurse Practitioner Residency, Duke University, Durham, NC - Worked alongside Physician Clinical Investigators in Bone Marrow Transplant.
- Charge Nurse, Immunology/Allergy Outpatient Clinic, Duke University, Durham, NC. Conducted clinical trials in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sjogren�s Syndrome.
- Staff Nurse, Hematology Oncology, Duke University, Durham, NC (while pursuing graduate nursing degree)
- Charge Nurse, General Surgery, Mercy Hospital, Miami, FL
- American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon � Served as Staff Nurse and promoted to Charge Nurse for the Medical Surgical Floor. Worked in the Recovery Room/PACU Unit. Volunteered at the hospital Disaster Team and the Nursing Staff Education Committee.